Here at the CCVB we have caught the craft brewing craze. With so many great breweries right in our backyard (Arcadia, Dark Horse, Bell’s), how could we not! Because of this, we decided to do some research on how craft brewing came to be. We came across some hilarious facts about beer and wanted to share them. Here are 10 fun facts about beer that will blow your mind!
- Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.
- It is believed that the Pilgrims on the Mayflower stopped at Plymouth Rock, instead of continuing on to Virginia, because they ran out of beer.
- One of the oldest laws was about beer. Babylonian King Hummurabi decreed that each person was to have a daily ration of beer, determined by their social status.
- The agricultural revolution was started because people needed a way to make more beer.
- Ben Franklin once said, “Beer is proof that God loves us.”
- The ancient Babylonians were the first to brew beer. If you made a bad batch, then your punishment was to be drowned in it.
- Beer commercials are not allowed to show someone drinking beer.
- Brewing beer was considered a very important and noble task for women. In ancient Peru, the breweries were staffed by women of the elite.
- The first professional brewers were women. Beer isn’t just a man’s drink!
- Viking believed a giant goat who’s udders would supply them with an endless supply of beer was waiting for them in Valhalla “Viking heaven.”
I’m fascinated with these beer facts and want to find more! If you have any funny beer facts, please send them to me. I’ll share them in another blog.
Facts are from: