Valentines Day… We all grow up thinking it’s a day to show people how much they mean to us. Whether it is a significant other, family, or friends. With the day coming up in less than a month, it got me wondering about the real meaning of Valentine’s Day. Through some research, I found out the true meaning behind the Valentine’s Day
Here are the facts:
- The day is named after St. Valentine.
- St. Valentine was a bishop in Rome during a time when Claudius II prohibited marriages for young men. Claudius II believed that marriage made men too emotional, therefore making them bad soldiers
- Bishop Valentine saw the injustice in the law and saw the heartbreak between two lovers who thought there was never a possibility of marriage.
- Bishop Valentine would marry these people in secret.
- He organized many secret marriages before he was caught.
This is why Valentine’s Day is known as a day for love.
Now it is time for you to plan the day for you and your special someone. Here are some ideas of where to spend your day in the Battle Creek area.
- Malia Mediterranean Bistro
- Serving Italian and Mediterranean style cuisine from pastas to salads to fish, your taste buds will be sure to thank you. From pastas to salads to fish. Call now for a reservation, they fill up fast. www.maliafoods.com
- For the sushi lover in your life. Great sushi and other Japanese inspired cuisine. http://www.sakurabestsushi.com/
- Cricket Club
- After dinner, head over to the Cricket Club in downtown Battle Creek for some after dinner drinks. With 56 beer taps, the beer lovers will love it! They also offer wine and many other drinks.
- Cascarelli’s of Albion
- Located in neighboring Albion, Cascarelli’s has amazing pizza and other delicious Italian dishes.
- Schuler’s Restaurant
- This 100-year-old restaurant is a great place for a delicious steak dinner or lighter faire of fish or an American style burger. Check their website for Valentine’s Day specials. http://www.schulersrestaurant.com/
- For a unique idea, head over to Zarzuela’s! From tapas plates of shrimp to Spanish style plates. Try the house-made sangria. The taste will make you feel like you are somewhere tropical. http://www.zarzuelamarshall.net/