When President Trump’s motorcade comes to town, you’re going to need a plan for parking – and probably a back-up plan, as well.
The re-election rally for President Trump and Vice President Pence starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Kellogg Arena. But closures of roads and parking ramps will start at early as 5 p.m. Tuesday.
What is closing at 5 p.m. Tuesday?
- Full Blast parking lots (35 W. Hamblin Ave.)
- Wave Square parking lot (corner of McCamly Street and Michigan Avenue)
- Riverwalk parking lot (34 W. Jackson St.)
- Hamblin Avenue parking ramp (connected to Kellogg Arena)
- Former K-Mart parking lot (corner of Dickman road and Capital Avenue)
How should I get into town?
The City of Battle Creek suggests two routes:
- Go east on Dickman Avenue to Washington Avenue
- From M-66 (also known as 194) to Division Street to Van Buren
Which roads are closing?
At 8 a.m. Wednesday, expect the following roads to close:
- Hamblin Avenue, from Capital Avenue to McCamly Street
- McCamly Avenue, from Hamblin Avenue to Jackson Street
More roads will close if the crowd starts to overflow, starting on Jackson and moving to Michigan Avenue, going north.
Expect intermittent closures at Helmer Road, Dickman Avenue, Washington Avenue, M-66, I-94 and Capital Avenue.
I have a handicapped license, where can I park?
The former K-Mart parking lot (corner of Dickman road and Capital Avenue) will open Wednesday for handicapped only, with shuttles starting at 1:45 p.m. Cars must be clearly marked handicapped, on the license plate or with a placard.
So where does everyone else park?
A map of available city parking is here:
There are some hot spots in town. Bigger lots include the following.
Near Dickman Road:
- The parking lot by the Battle Creek Bus Transfer Station (McCamly Street, next to the Post Office)
- Lot B, owned by Conagra/Post (150 S. McCamly St.)
Near Division Street and Van Buren Street:
- Commerce Pointe parking lot (77 E. Michigan Ave., across from City Hall and the police station)
- Willard Library parking lot (7 W. VanBuren St.)
- McCamly parking lot (corner of McCamly Street and VanBuren Street)
- Public school parking lots will be available after 3 p.m. Give students a chance to clear out. That includes the Math and Science Center (171 W. Michigan Ave.) and the parking lots by Post Stadium behind Battle Creek Central High School (where Champion Street meets Calhoun Street)
- State Street parking lot (behind Subway, Schlotzky’s, Griffin Grill and Pub – look for Friendship Park)
- Michigan Avenue parking ramp (120 W. Michigan Ave.)
- Jackson Street parking lot (on the corner of Carlyle Street and Jackson Street, behind Barista Blues and Record Box)
- The Kool Family Community Center parking lot will be open after 5 p.m. (200 W. Michigan Ave.)
A 15-minute walk:
- Lot U, 135 N. Washington Ave. (this one is near an elementary school, watch out for kids)
There are some parking lots that usually have time limits on weekdays, such as State Street parking, but on Wednesday, you’ll be able to stay there for the entire day.